Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas is a time for... buying!

I'm currently in London staying with my family and my Aunt and Uncle for Christmas and experiencing the British way of life! Today i went to the Victoria and Albert museum and checked out the much-hyped, much-talked-about Golden Age of Couture exhibit. I bought my 5£ ticket and walked towards the doors only to find a "No Photography" sign so I couldn't take any pictures. I did however conclude two things:
  1. Hubert De'Givenchy and Pierre Balmain are my favorite couturiers.
  2. Historical Fashion is not for me...
Explaining number one... I waltzed around the exhibit and found myself most interested by a pearl encrusted evening gown by Balmain, and some gorgeous gowns by Givenchy. Other highlights were the ONLY Chanel suit in the whole exhibit, an incredible red gown by the mast of couture, Cristobal Balenciaga, Dior's New Look suits and the final room with three of John Galliano's Haute Couture creations.

A Pierre Balmain pearl and Ostrich feather gown from the Golden Age of Couture Exhibit.


I bought The Fashion Book, a mini encyclopedia of all things fashion. Every designer, milliner, textile designer, model, and fashion icon since the 2000's. I also got a book for Christmas, called Deluxe, How Luxury Lost its Lustre, and i must say it's one of the most interesting books I've ever read. Rarely do I read 100 pages at a time and i did on the plane to England. It's riveting even though it's mostly about the business side of the industry and how much it has changed... from the once family run industry to one overrun with money-grubbing CEO's like Bernard Arnault.


Of course, the old saying goes... "When in Rome...", and i certainly did when I was in London. I flexed my shopping-bag-holding arms in many districts, but mostly West Croydon and Oxford Street. My favorite store of the world, Uniqlo was a big name in London, and i picked up a lot of stuff! Two Japanese manga print sweatshirts by artist Shotaro Ishinomori, a geometric print by Casette Playa, an abstract print by Nick Waplington, 3 pairs of skinny jeans, a red and grey striped merino wool cardigan that's as soft as chinchilla fur, a grey wool/cashmere double breasted pea coat, a lambswool beanie and a leather belt all made it into my shopping bag.

A Uniqlo x Casette Playa t-shirt.


At Urban Outfitters I found a Flippa K t-shirt for 20£ (40$) and I had to have it... I know its outrageous for a t-shirt but its quite nice. I also got an old vintage flannel shirt from their renewal section and a Kissy Sell Out EP. At Topshop, my last endeavour, I got two burqa-ish scarves, some underwear, a cardigan by Peoples Market and some fingerless gloves.

I also went to Harrods and obsessed over a Balenciaga ikat/tye-dye print dress, a Balmain seriously beaded and boned evening gown, some Mulberry leather bags i tried to get my mom to purchase (to no avail..), a Fendi chinchilla fur coat whats was the softest moment of my life, a Prada flower print skirt from their resort collection, a Celine ostrich-leg (yes you heard me right) purse, and some gorgeous Emilio Pucci prints. I was in heaven... Needless to say we didn't buy anything but i do wish i could have spent some more time (a measly 30 minutes) and checked out the stellar-ly designed Marni ministore.

After it was all done, i had spent 350£ (roughly 700$), sat on my suitcase to zip it all in, and STILL had to buy another duffel-bag to fit my old coat in. It was wonderful staying with my Aunt and Uncle in their quaint and stylish tiny home, but i was happy to be in my own bed after i got home, had the best sleep of my life, then found a January issue of W Mag in my mailbox and learned that my other aunt bought me a years subscription.

All in all it was an absolutely fabulous Christmas. I hope yours was great too!

No comments: